Everyone gets stressed out.
If they don’t, I want to know who they are so I can stalk them and learn their secrets.
I really do try not to sweat the small stuff. I used to flip out about every little thing. All the time. It was exhausting. I eventually got to the point where I realized the shit that was stressing me out wasn’t worth my time. So I consciously tried to let shit go by reminding myself that it really didn’t matter.
Now mostly of my stress is over larger things, or, you know…hormonally induced. And the stress tends to exhibit itself in escalating levels: wanting to “eat the house,” agitation, wanting to crawl out of my own skin, clenching my teeth and finally crying.
If it’s possible (and it’s not always) I try to recognize whatever threat level I’m at and try to settle my ass down with the following things. If one doesn’t work, I move on to something else.
1. Deep breathing.
2. Removing myself from the computer/person/situation.
3. Going for a walk.
4. Going outside and just sitting in nature. Sometimes just sitting in the hammock swing or laying on the grass (you know, when the ground isn’t freezing cold and wet) is enough to get me out of my head.
5. Crafting of some sort – something that’s easy enough to do without too much thought and something that I have to focus on enough that pushes other thoughts aside. Knitting, sewing and cross stitching work great for this kinda thing.
6. Listening to the recordings I’ve made of the Lake Superior waves.
7. Aromatherapy. Yeah, I know, I’m just living up to my crunchy granola roots. But, I find some scents really soothing, so I’ll usually put a little essential oil on my wrists and the smell often helps me relax a little.
8. Guided mediation recordings. (It’s okay. You can laugh.)
9. Petting a cat…or three.
10. Venting to my friends. And swearing a lot. Like a whooooooooooooole lot.
11. Listening to music which usually results in me singing at the top of my lungs.
12. If all else fails…a glass of wine. Preferably blackberry. Because I’m nothing if not classy. Also, if I’m busting out the wine, I’m doing it in this glass.
So…what about you? What do you do to alleviate stress? I’m always open to new ideas.
Check out the rest of the WR bloggers for their relaxation methods by clicking on their names below.